PLAY for life

23/01/2018
All through 2017 I used the word PLAY to inspire my days and to get a little bit out of my comfort zone. Here are a few things I did this year, either shallow or deep and their different outcomes:

I posted pictures of my tights online
I opened an Instagram account under the username funwithtights and posted pictures of my tights different colours or details.
I'm really not sure why I did it. I wanted to do something completely off my thing and since fashion is something I have fun with without over thinking, it was kind of getting out of my comfort zone in an area that nothing important could go wrong.
It was fun for a little while! Soon it started to be boring, and when it became awkward, I stopped. (had I thought things better, I could have predicted that funwithtights can have lots of different approaches and interpretations I'm not comfortable at... )
I don't regret it though. And I learnt that I do like clothes and to express myself through clothes, but I don't enjoy thinking or talking about it for long periods of time.

I went to a ballet class
I've always wanted to learn ballet and I figured it that if I wouldn't do it in the year of play, when would I do it? So, I went to an adult ballet class. It was heavier than I anticipated, painfully challenging and amazingly wonderful, I felt better than I ever imagine I would feel, regardless of how inadequate I was.

I played like a kid
and found once again the lost pleasure of imaginary rules for walking the patterns on the street. Plus, I've learned that the more you play with kids at their imaginative, care-free level, the more "grown-up" their conversations are. I think it makes perfect sense looking back, but I didn't have this in mind, so it came as a really nice side-effect to me.

I've broadened my worldview
Having a free-pass to explore unusual areas changed me in a tangible way but mostly it increased my overall openness to everything, knocking down preconceptions. I used to see myself as an open-mind kind of person, now I check myself for unconscious biases all the time and there's plenty to find. I take comfort in the feeling of being on the right path, and it's a wonderful feeling.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous25.1.18

    There's so much freedom in play! I've enjoyed reading about where you've taken it, and I'm wondering what my choices would be... Are you continuing with the ballet Cristiana? And did you teach JP any ballet? And I'm also wondering if you have a photo of all these fun tights in a drawer together? Would love to see that!
    I hope this comment gets through - I'm still only having intermittent success with blogger blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lotta! I'm sorry about this comment issue, maybe it's something on my side? I Know you commented because I get an e-mail from blogger, thank you for trying again. I practice with some ballet/barre youtube videos at home when I can but I haven't been to the classes because they are held too late in the night to work for me right now. JP loves doing yoga with me, ballet...not so much! He is really into Karaté these days and after months begging to go we finally sign him up for it and he is over the moon with it, it's so sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top